Infertility due to Hodgkin’s lymphoma treatment

Patient: I was diagnosed with hodgkins lymphomia 4 years ago and have been cancer free for 2 years. My wife and I want to have a baby but I wasnt able to bank any sperm before treatment and my sperm count has not came back. What are my options.

Doctor: I do understand your concern, but unfortunately there are not many options left. Following cancer chemotherapy most men develop low levels of sperm (oligospermia) or no sperm (azoospermia). These conditions may persist for long periods of time and may be permanent. Hodgkin’s disease are treated with procarbazine-containing chemotherapy regimens that cause sterility in the vast majority. At the moment, it’s just a waiting game until the results arrive. Some men will recover their ability to produce sperm and will return to pre-treatment sperm counts, but this may take months or years to achieve.