Infertility or PID from untreated ureaplasma?

Patient

Q: I was diagnosed with ureaplasma over five years ago. At the time, I was told that it was normal and it was left untreated. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for almost a year now without luck. The last two times we had intercourse, I noticed a very small amount of blood afterwards. I am concerned this could be a sign of PID, which I now realize can develop if ureaplasma is left untreated for a long period of time. The only other symptoms I have are frequent urination, painful periods and lower back pain. I have never had an abnormal pap and had a hysterosalpingogram that came back normal. Could there be permanent damage that would cause infertility?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Any bacterial urinary tract infection can cause pelvic inflammatory disease. Pelvic inflammatory disease involves the uterus, Fallopian tubes, and surrounding pelvic structures. If left untreated, it can result in scarring of the Fallopian tubes which can lead to infertility. It is important that you follow up with your gynecologist to determine if you have sustained any damage to your Fallopian tubes. If this is the case you may be able to utilize in-vitro fertilization techniques to assist in conceiving.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com