Inflammatory Bowel Disease may require Life Long Medications

Patient: Dear Sir. I am 26 yrs old.Female. Last month my doctor has diagnosed colitis disease after a colonoscopy test. Have been taking medicines for 1 month..anti-inflammatory.. However,lately after my dose was over..diarrhoea started slightly again..Doctor told me to increase my dose of salazopyrin medicine 500g (two twice a day). I am very upset doctor coz today when i called him, he told that i must take these medicines all time long..i wanted to know doctor if this is possible, that is to take these medicines forever.. i am slightly anaemic and have been given medicines as well for that (my HB level 8) Please, doctor could you please advise.. Thank you very much…

Doctor: I understand your concern about Inflammatory Bowel Disease. As you may already know, this condition causes inflammation of your bowels, diarrhea, reduced appetite, weight loss and blood in stool.The goal of medical treatment is to reduce the inflammation that triggers your signs and symptoms. In the best cases, this may lead not only to symptom relief but also to long-term remission.Salazopyrin is a medication given as a first step in the treatment of this condition, especially when the colon is compromised. Let me reassure you that surely this medication could be given for long term treatment of this condition, however you will still have to be evaluated form time to time to stabilize the dosage or add other medications such as Corticosteroids or symptomatic such as anti-diarrheal pain relievers or different type of iron supplement treatment such as IV iron injections. Since your Hemoglobin level is 8 gr/dl, I would suggest you to discuss the use of IV iron with your doctor. I wish you a prompt recovery.