Information on medication for a 94 year old

Patient

Q: Is the prescription Metopolol tartrate considered a blood thinner?

Symptoms:  An extreme bruse after a fall.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. No, Metoprolol tartrate is a beta blocker class of cardiovascular medication. It is used to treat high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, or angina acting on the smooth muscle tissues of the blood vessels. Increased risk of bruising and bleeding is a known side effect of metoprolol. Given the advanced age of the patient, we recommend that she be seen by her doctor to determine if she needs to stop this medication if it is increasing her risk of bleeding.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com