Ingrown toenail recurrence, docs dont use phenol

Q: HI.

I've had an ingrown toenail operated on last year as it was bloody and and painful. They cut the offending side off. After 9 months grew back but both sides are now ingrown (A GP has confirmed) and one side on my other toe, 3 sides in all. The GP said that I could have the same operation again but said it was not permanent which means they dont use the phenol treatment. that stops it coming back. I've read many pages and sites on the net recommending the permanent option, but my GP is unconvinced, every doctor claims to know nothing about the phenol treatment. My nails are very sensitive and highly painful and dont seem to be growing correctly at all (one is bloody), so im on the GPs waiting list for an operation next week. One doctor said if it keeps reoccurring they may have to remove the whole nail - I've contacted a foot specialist who said the following:

"There is no need to remove the whole nail if only the sides are problematic. If the whole nail is removed and allowed to grow back, in most cases the patient will not be able to maintain a pressure free environment for regrowth and during this time the nail is more than likely to become problematic again.

they will definitely grow back if they are not phenolised and they will more than likely grow back to become problematic again.

The phenol eliminates the growing cells at the root of the nail and although there is always a possibility of a regrowth, the chances are very minimal, therefore leaving you with a problem free nail."

So I'm stuck in two minds - Your advice would be appreciated. how Do you treat this? Should I let the docs cut the sides knowing it will probably grow back ingrown? Why dont any docs seem to know about phenol?