Patient : I inhaled a large amount of clorox and amonia over 24 hours ago. I am still experiencing flu like symptoms, coughing, sneezing, headache, nausea, burning throat, chest, and eyes and fever. Will this pass or should I seek medical attention?
Certainly inhaling Bleach and Ammonia fumes could be the cause of the symptoms that you feel at the moment. Inhaling ammonia or other alkaline fumes will produce burning pain in the nose, mouth, throat and chest. More severe exposure can cause hoarseness, coughing and difficulty in breathing. Inhalation of bleach can also cause internal damage, including irritation of the esophagus lining and lungs. Inflammation of the respiratory system could develop after exposure.Depending on the concentration and time of exposure the symptoms could vary in severity. I would suggest you to be evaluated by a Health care provider and in the meantime watch for signs of alarm such as Difficulty breathing and Hoarseness. I wish you a prompt recovery.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.