Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Injectable medication for Migraine headaches

Injectable medication for Migraine headaches

Patient: I have been suffering for migraines for many years now. We have tried all the possible medication from a chemist. Have also been to our GP and he has tried everything including the melts and even epilepsy medication. I had a MRI scan but it came back clear. They are mostly on the right side of the time. My migraines are very frequent ( 4-5 times a week) for up to 3days a time for the longest. What can we try next, i heard there in an injection available but how do we go about it. we have a 2week wait to see our GP?

Doctor: Injectable forms of sumatriptan like sumavel, alsuma, imitrex etc. for the treatment of migraine pain, are available for subcutaneous injection into the abdomen or thigh. These are available only through your doctor’s prescription, who may also explain you the procedure of self injection for treatment. You need to avoid all factors that induce migraine attack, including lack of sleep, hunger, fatigue, stress, certain foods etc. Other treatment options include use of migrane specific medications like sumatriptan, ergotamine, propranolol, timolol, methysergide, valproic acid, and topiramate may help control the symptoms as well as reduce the frequency, severity and duration of the migraine attacks.