Injury to the thumb and post injury paresthesia and loss of sensation

Patient

Q: I had a screw gun, construction tool, jammed into my thumb next to my thumb nail. At the time i just put bandaids on it and wrapped it in electrical tape. It has been free of those for 2.5 hours now. It has been numb since then, though I have soaked it in hydrogen peroxide. Should I be concerned?

Doctor

A:   Please see a physician in person as soon as possible as you may have potentially injured a nerve when you hurt yourself.Also the wound needs proper cleaning and there are chances that it may have become infected and can lead to further serious complications. You may also need a tetanus shot depending on your last tetanus status. Please consult a doctor and do not ignore this. All the best.