Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Inner lip scarring – more sinister than just scarring?

Inner lip scarring – more sinister than just scarring?

Patient: I have what feels like lumpy, bumpy scar tissue on the inside of my bottom lip. I cut myself quite badly about a year ago on the front of my lip whilst shaving. There is no pain but I can always feel it there and on occasion it bleeds.I am a smoker. Is this normal from the cut? Or could be something more sinister that needs to be checked out?Thanks

Symptoms: Occasionally bleeding, uncomfortable

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.If you have got the trauma a year back and still it bleeds then it should not be ig nored. You should take it seriously.I will advise you to visit your doctor so that he can examine you.He may order a biopsy from the area to look for atypical changes.I hope this helps.Take care.