Inner lip scarring - more sinister than just scarring?

Patient

Q: I have what feels like lumpy, bumpy scar tissue on the inside of my bottom lip. I cut myself quite badly about a year ago on the front of my lip whilst shaving. There is no pain but I can always feel it there and on occasion it bleeds.

I am a smoker. Is this normal from the cut? Or could be something more sinister that needs to be checked out?

Thanks

Symptoms:  Occasionally bleeding, uncomfortable
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.

If you have got the trauma a year back and still it bleeds then it should not be ignored. You should take it seriously.
I will advise you to visit your doctor so that he can examine you.

He may order a biopsy from the area to look for atypical changes.

I hope this helps.
Take care.