Insomnia, stomach discomfort and an increase in urination?

Q: What would cause insomnia, mild stomach discomfort and a small increase in the need to urinate? For the last week, I could only sleep a few hours a night, but last night, I couldn't sleep at all.

Symptoms:  Insomnia, fatigue, stomach discomfort

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that your abdominal discomfort and frequent urination could be due to the development of a urinary tract infection. This is commonly caused by bacteria which get into the urethra and proliferate leading to inflammation, bleeding, and frequent urination. These infections can be quite uncomfortable and can cause disturbance of sleep such as you are experiencing. You will need to see your doctor to conduct a urine test to determine the type of bacteria you are infected with. You will likely be prescribed oral antibiotics to clear this infection. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting