Intense pain in the calf when the heel hits the ground after a leg injury

Patient

Q: Four weeks ago I tore the MCL in my knee and bruised the other side of the joint as well. There was massive amounts of swelling in my lower leg, ankle and foot. I couldn't touch my calf muscle for almost two weeks and the foot hurt so much I kept ice on it for most of the time. Now the swelling has come down and I feel a whole lot better. I am working with physio on my knee and it is progressing. The part that I am worried about is my ankle - I cant seem to get my heel down. When my heel does hit the ground pain shoots up my calf. I keep working at it every day to get it down but I dont seem to be making any progress. The calf muscle feels really tight all the time. Is it possible I did something else lower in my leg? I dont know whether or not I should go back to my doctor and push to have it looked at.

Doctor

A:   Possibly you had an injury of the calf muscles too that needs to be re- assessed and treated accordingly, I strongly recommend you to get that looked at by your doctor to rule out more serious conditions. Such kind of injuries, if uncomplicated, may require relative rest for 4-12 weeks depending on the severity of the initial trauma. The treatment usually involves the use of ice packs, anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) will help to reduce the swelling and pain; mild massaging the calf also may help to speed up recovery.