x
200 Physicians Online

Question:

Intermittent Sharp Ear pain

I have had a sharp intermittent pain in my right ear for the last 2 days.

Answer:

Pain in the ear usually comes from either a problem in the middle ear or in the ear canal. My probable diagnosis would be that the pain is caused due to otitis externa. This is an inflammation of the outer ear and auditory canal caused by bacteria. Less commonly, outer ear infection may be related to a fungal infection (otomycosis), which reveals a white, mold-like appearance that is a "fungal ball". Otitis externa is fixed with antibiotic or steroid ear drops to calm down the inflammation or treat any infection. You can take over-the-counter pain medications to relieve your pain. It is also good idea to have a consultation with your ENT doctor.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA