Interpretation of the MRI Result of the Knee

Patient

Q: What do these MRI results mean...There is marked patellar cartilage thinning greater than 50% loss diffusely. There are secondary subchondral changes within the patella. There is a 6mm well-circumscribed lesion within the posterior central aspect of the tibia just nonspecific but has the appearance of noncontrasted imaging of an interosseous cyst. Degenerative joint disease of patellofemoral compartment right knee.

Doctor

A:   The above MRI results explain the changes in your right knee, which are consistent with the degenerative changes, meaning wear and tear due to aging commonly seen in arthritic disease of the joint. There is thinning of the cartilage of patella, and the subchondral changes are the attempts made by the body to counter balance the changes due to the inflammation or injury taking place in the joint. Due to the degenerative changes and weakness of the joint, the line of distribution of the body weight and intra-articular pressure is adjusted over the time and leads to the production of small cyst of the synovial lining of the joint. This report signifies presence of progressive inflammatory or degenerative changes often seen in arthritis changes of the knee joint.

The above MRI results explain the changes in your right knee, which are consistent with the degenerative changes, meaning wear and tear due to aging commonly seen in arthritic disease of the joint. There is thinning of the cartilage of patella, and the subchondral changes are the attempts made by the body to counter balance the changes due to the inflammation or injury taking place in the joint. Due to the degenerative changes and weakness of the joint, the line of distribution of the body weight and intra-articular pressure is adjusted over the time and leads to the production of small cyst of the synovial lining of the joint.
This report signifies presence of progressive inflammatory or degenerative changes often seen in arthritis changes of the knee joint.