Involuntary movements in a three years old female:Tourette's?

Patient

Q: My daughter was almost two when she started gasping tics only while eating or watching tv or movies it lasted a couple months and went away she is now almost three an A half the gasping tics are back while eating an tv or movies again is this tourettes or is she stressed from a new baby in the house ?

Doctor

A:    Tourette syndrome is a neurological disorder with stereotyped, repetitive involuntary movements (tics) and vocalizations. It starts to be noticed in early childhood around 7 to 10 years old, with the worst symptoms in the teens. The cause is unknown. There are many disorders associated with Tourette’s, for example Asperger’s Syndrome (which is a type of autism), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression and obsessive compulsive behaviors. There are no blood or specific testes to diagnose Tourette’s, then I strongly recommend you to get your daughter a consultation with a Neuropediatrician, who will be able to perform a comprehensive evaluation and rule out the other causes for your daughter’s symptoms, and decide the best treatment option for her accordingly.