Iron deficiency anaemia symptoms

Q: Hiya, ive been suffering extreme fatigue and headaches and migranes and pressure headches, ive been diagnosed with anemia and given iron pills however these have had little affect i suffered a drop in weight recently and appetite decreased, ive also had behaviour changes in the past few monthss, ive tried sleeping more and less i get dizziness and have a sensitivity to light and general unwellness is this all connected to the fatigue and anemia or is it even anemia?

A:   The usual presenting symptoms in adults with iron deficiency anemia include weakness, headache, irritability, fatigue and exercise intolerance. There is also evidence to suggest that altered behaviour is associated with iron deficiency anaemia, due to deficiency of non-haemoglobin proteins. Symptoms of light sensitivity, weight loss and decreased appetite are not normally associated with anaemia. Therefore, I would advise attending your family physician for a detailed history of your symptoms, clinical examination, and blood tests to check your haemoglobin level, iron stores and total iron binding capacity, following commencement of iron supplementation.