Iron deficiency anemia and Pregnancy,

Q: Well iam 8 Months pregnant and my Blood level is 7 my doc gave me Iron injections to improve the blood levels and it did improve at that time couple of months back to 8 but now its again 7. As im into my 8th month of pregnancy will there be any problem? And why isnt my blood level increasing? I do take all kinds of food to improve the blood level, but still...

A:   I realize how worried you are about low iron and Anemia. The most common cause of anemia is iron deficiency.  This can easily be corrected by oral iron tablets.  Most doctors will often repeat the blood tests after 6-12 weeks of oral iron tablets to see if the anemia is improving. Since your iron levels have not been improving even with iron injections, I would suggest you to also have Vitamin B12 – Folic Acid level test to rule out another common type of anemia due to deficiency on these factors. I hope this helps, take care.