Irregular and heavy periods in a 43 year old female

Q: I am 43 years old and I have irregular menstrual. My bleeding are heavy and frequent to the point that I see small globs of blood when I change my pads. I am not sure why this is happening. Is there a reason for this? Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Mahalo Matia

A:   I do understand your concern. What you are experiencing is menorrhagia, the medical term for menstrual periods in which bleeding is abnormally heavy or prolonged. Although heavy menstrual bleeding is a common concern among premenopausal women, most women don't experience blood loss severe enough to be defined as menorrhagia. If you have very heavy menstrual bleeding, talk with your doctor. A number of conditions may cause menorrhagia, common causes include: hormonal imbalance, dysfunction of the ovaries, uterine fibroids, polyps, adenomyosis, inherited bleeding disorders, thyroid problems and rarely uterine cancer. You doctor may do blood tests, PAP smear, endometrial biopsy and ultrasound scan based on your history and physical examination to determine the cause of the bleeding. I hope that answers your question, I wish you well.