x
152 Physicians Online

Question:

Irregular menstruation with pain

My menstrual cycle has been irregular , as it occurs every 13 -16 days , where it should be 28 days. I also suffer from severe lower abdominal pain while period.I am a virgin so would you recommend anything I should do or take any medication or is there any home remedies?

Answer:

Menstrual cramps or dysmenorrhea could be severe enough to limit normal activities and may require medication. Most of the time no underlying cause can be found (primary dysmenorrhea). However, since you also have irregular periods, you will definitely need to see your doctor/gynecologist to rule out other underlying causes such as endometriosis, ovarian cysts, uterine leiomyoma, pelvic inflammatory disease, adhesions and uterine polyps. Diagnosis would depend on a thorough history and physical examination, blood work, urinalysis and an ultrasound.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA