Irregular period (Polycystic ovaries )

Patient

Q: I am having an issue of heavy bleeding for 15-20days may be some some its lead to 30days aswell & this problem i am facing from past 10yrs till the time i am taking tablets as the doctor suggested its goes well but after that its irregular
Sometime my period get delayed for 3Month & if its comes then its goes for 30days .
In my ultra sound report I got a feedback as follows:
Bilateral bulky & polycystic ovaries
Rest of the study is within normal limits

I am very disturbed with this irregularity in periods Hence kindly suggest is there any solution for this as I have done with so many checkups with different doctors but there is no solution till the time i am taking tablet its fine but lateral on situation is same.

Other thing kindly let me know is i am able to conceive or not(ie Pregnant) ..

Other description:
I am Married & my age is 28yrs..

Symptoms:  Heavy Bleeding more then 20days some time 30days , Irregularity in period (Some time period will not happen for 3Month also) ,Polycystic ovaries(Bilateral bulky)
Doctor

Thanks for the query,

If you are already a diagnosed case of PCOS, then you must understand that there is only prevention and not a permanent cure for it. You have a chronic hormonal imbalance and hence polycystic ovaries with hirsutism and irregular menses. This syndrome is most commonly associated with obesity and insulin resistance. It is important that you have to keep your weight in check and maintain a BMI less than 25. This shall help improvement in resistance and hence promote ovulation. The main problem with PCOS is chronic anovulation and this is the primary cause of infertility in women. The best mode is to regularise menses and establish hormonal balance with 6 monthly use of low dose oral combined contraceptive pills like Ginette 35. Then when pregnancy is to be planned this can be omitted and best chances of pregnancy is seen in next 3 months naturally. if pregnancy attempt fails then ovulation inducing drugs may have to be used to initiate ovulation followed by timed intercourse or an IUI technique to allow and help conception.

It is better that you continue your pills and maintain a healthy lifestyle with exercise to keep the weight under check.