Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Irregular Periods

Irregular Periods

Patient: I,m 46 and my daughter is 15. she started to get her periods when she was 13.she is now 15 and her periods do not come on the same date each month.they have been like this since she started. whats wrong ?

Doctor: I realize your concern about your daughters irregular periods. There is a period that should not last more than 2 years after Menarche for the menses to stabilize, before that the cycles could have variations between 21 to 35 days between. I would suggest you not to panic since this might be normal and probably she would adjust her periods during the next cycles. Illness, rapid weight change, or stress can also make things more unpredictable because the part of the brain that regulates periods is influenced by events like these.Most of the times, irregular periods are part of the normal changes that can happen when youre a teen. At some point as you grow, your cycle will probably settle into a recognizable pattern. This usually happens by 3 years after your first period.I would suggest you to wait for half a year and then if the periods are still irregular consult your Gynecologist to rule out Hormonal Imbalance and the cause of it. I wish you the best.