Irregular periods after stopping OCPs

Patient: Im on the pill and recently stopped for my monthly period. However when I went to start my pill again I realised I didnt have another packet so had to wait another week to get a new one. Basically I hadnt taken it in 2 weeks then suddenly after I another period in the space of two weeks. This one is very heavy and seems to be lasting a lot longer than my usual ones, its now been a week and it still hasnt stopped? Is there anything I should worry about?

Doctor: I do understand your concern, but would like to assure you that most irregular periods are benign. It is most probable t that the OPC would have resulted in your irregular period. Sometimes in the first 2 to 3 months after women start taking contraceptives pills, irregular menstruation might be irregular. However if the bleeding continues or the periods are still irregular after 2-3 months, I would advise you to consult with your doctor.