x
167 Physicians Online

Question:

Irregular periods after stopping the pill: How long until i should be able to conceive?

I stopped taking the yasmin birth control pill in Aug 2010 to try to conceive. My first period after stopping the pill was on the 21st of August for five days. After that i did not have a period until Feb 2011 but this only lasted two days on the 5th and 6th. In march i was on on the 5th to the 8th. Then i had no period again until May 15th until the 20th and again on the 17th June and I'm just coming off now got very light bleeding (the 21st). I went to my doctor in May as i had no period in April and wanted to know how long until my cycle would get back to normal but they said it was basically normal again. I don't want to keep going and asking them but i would like to know how long to wait until i go to see if everything is working properly as it seems i have been trying to conceive for a long time! i know its meant to be a year but have you heard of such irregular periods after coming off the pill? and how long would you estimate it will take if there are no problems with me or my other half? It is just frustrating trying then no periods, negative tests then a couple of months later i am on again.

Answer:

It is true that going of the pill can make your period irregular and it may take some time to get back to normal. This however differs on a case to case basis. There is no fixed time that it may or may not take to regularise your periods. Now i tend to agree with your doctors that it does seem that the periods are getting back to normal agian since you have had one in may and june.Once your periods are regularised I am sure there would be no issue with concieiving. I would advice you to be patient and wait and watch. All the best.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA