197 Physicians Online

Irregular Periods After Tubal Ligation

I had a tubligation 6 years after having my daughter since then my periods have been irregular. at first i had two periods now 6 years later my periods are regular cycle every 28 days the only thing is approx two days after i am done with my cycle i have a rusty color discharge. My husband is away right now and i have not had intercourse in 8 months.

It is difficult for me to comment on the cause of your problem. Based on symptoms alone, I would think of post tubal ligation syndrome. This is caused as a result of a rapid decline of estrogen/progesterone hormone levels caused by decreased blood supply to the ovaries after surgery. Symptoms include Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles, hot flashes, dry and itchy vagina and mood swings. I would advise you to observe your periods and if they continue to be irregular, I would recommend that you see your doctor to rule out any underlying pathology.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA