Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Irregular periods and heavy bleeding

Irregular periods and heavy bleeding

Patient: I am 47 and i have been having a problem with bleeding. i missed 2 months and when i started bleeding again it was a real heavy flow for 2 weeks then for a few days i just spoted, then it went back to a real heavy flow for a week then back to just spoting again, then right back to heavy. this has been going on for over a month now. i would fill a over night pad in just a few hours and there were a few times that i was just sitting at the computer and went threw my cloths and on to my chair just after i changed. my sister is worried but i can aford to see a dr i am unemployed, no insurance and no monies coming in

Doctor: From your description, the changes in your bleeding and periods, seems to be due to the menopausal changes in your body. During this time, it is usual for women to experience changes in the menstruation like heavy bleeding, spotting or no periods followed by heavy bleeding. Before your periods stop completely, they generally become either more closely or widely spaced. This irregularity may last for 1 – 3 years before menstruation finally ends completely. If you continue to experience heavy bleeding or other symptoms like sleeping problems, hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings you may see a doctor for treatment.