Irregular periods with brown discharge

Patient : I have been having brown spotting for a while and I was told not worry about it by my doctor, but now its red. O and I have really ever had a regular period. I would get one one month and not get one for a few months. Also, last year at school I gained weight because of a liver problem.
Doctor :   Brown spotting that is not associated with abdominal pain and itching or burning symptoms is most probably due to old en dometrial tissue. It is not uncommon for the normal discharge to be dark, brown or discolored a day or two following the menstrual period. If your periods are irregular for a couple of months, I would suggest that you see your health care provider. Blood work and an ultrasound may be required to determine the cause. Take care.