Irregular periods with heavy, painful bleeding

Patient

Q: I am 18 and my periods are very irregular. I first started with I was 13 and they were normal to begin with. I was last on in January so 5months ago and it was three months before that. When I am on they are very heavy and painfull, sometimes to the point where I can't walk. I went to the doctors last year and they said I was just 'unlucky'. Any help would be much appreciated.

Doctor

A:   It is likely that you may have developed ovarian cysts, that may produce abnormalities of menstrual flow as described in your case. You need to visit a gynecologist for further assessment through ultrasound examination and proper treatment.