Irritating left knee pain: possible Chondromalacia Patella

Q: Hello doctor i would like to ask you a question about the pain i have in my left knee.i am an 18 years old boy and for about 4 to 5 days now i have been having a little bit of pain in my left hurts when i stand up and place weight on it(even on both feet)and when i sit down the pain is still there the same...i have tried to lay on my bed and keep my legs lined that time it bothers me more.i don't consider it "pain"but more like a feeling that shouldn't happen and it bothers me a kind of feels like i may fall sooner or later even though i know i won't...i can walk normally run etc but the pain is still there.this morning was fine but after awhile(maybe also from the cold)the pain kicked in and my knee started hurting a little.also this afternoon when i lowered myself to pick smth on the ground with the knee being completely bended(more like a squat but without the purpose of training and just once)i heard 3 little cracks from my left knee and the pain started again)...this sort of pain never happened to me before and it is not from not sleeping at nights but the feeling is kinda the same...the pain stops only when i place the knee on a soft surface like a sofa bed or anything soft...i know i might have made a mess trying to explain but i have never experienced that sort of pain and wanted to be as specific as last thing is that i have done a little intensive workout 2 to 3 weeks ago and in some of those exercises my knee has gone past my toe(i heard u should never dot it)

A:    An important part about the patellofemoral syndrome or  chondrolamalacia patella is the muscular imbalance that increases the friction between the patella and the lower part of the femur, causing a wear out of the cartilage located in the back of the patella producing that uncomfortable situation that you described. You could try the following: taping or bandaging the superior pole of the patella, so that the inferior patella imposes less mass effect on the underlying intra-articular fat pad, or you can wear a soft knee brace that helps to control the patella position  also try to modifying activities that increase the uncomfortable sensation. Stretching the quadriceps and hip flexor muscles may help to lessen some of the downward pressure the patella applies to the intra articular fat pad.