Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is 1200 calories enough if severely overweight?

Is 1200 calories enough if severely overweight?

Patient: Is a 1200 calorie diet healthy enough if severely overweight? I weigh roughly over 350 pounds, I’m not sure about my exact weight because my scale won’t go over 350. I feel at least 400 pounds now. I’m a male at 6 foot 2.

Doctor: As per your height your weight is too high and you can be classified into Obese Class III, which means you are severely obese. The diet you mentioned is extremely low compared to your daily requirement based on your height and weight. You definitely require to reduce weight, else you will face complications of obesity. Diet is not alone measure to reduce weight. It should be done under supervision of a physician, dietician and physical trainer. Low intake of diet can result in malnourishment and other side effects. So consult a physician and dietician first before planning for weight reduction for healthy weight loss.