Is abortion worse on the body than the daily contraceptive pill?

Patient

Q: Is abortion worse on the body than the daily contraceptive pill?

Doctor

A:   Most definitely yes. Abortion is definitely worse on the body than the daily contraceptive pill, not to mention the moral issue that abortion actually involves preventing an already alive fetus from living any further.
The pill has been used by millions of women for decades now and if you do not smoke and have no contraindications for pill usage, it certainly is quite safe to be on the pill. In fact a large research study has shown that pill users followed for 39 years were less likely to die than women who did not use the pill.
There are many side effects and risks associated with pill usage, the most significant of which being, the tendency to form blood clots. Pill use can increase the risk of blood clots in the leg from 5 to 10 in 100,000 women per year to possibly more than 8 times that rate with some pills.Having said that, in a person with tendencies for forming blood clots, pregnancy of any duration as well as abortions increase the risk by 4- 5 times. This is significantly more than risk of being on the pills.
Abortion, medically or surgically done, has many risks which include haemorrhage, damage to the cervix, womb, loss of fertility, infections, sepsis, subsequent miscarriages, ectopic pregnancies etc.
It is really not such a huge dilemma for most women as the choices are obvious. But if you find yourself confused over whether you would rather abort a baby or use contraceptive pills, I would seriously recommend that you visit a family planning center/ contraceptive counselor to have a more intense discussion over this before you finally decide what you want to do.