Is Basal Body Temperature a good source of birth control

Patient

Q: I was wondering how effective the measuring of basal body temperature is as a method of birth control. I will be using a Lady Comp fertility monitor to check/keep track of my temperature and to monitor my cycles, so the element of human error will be removed. Thank you!

Doctor

A:   Thanks for your question.

Generally depending on increase in the body temperature for 1o C during the ovulation is not a very effective method of contraception. Today with modern lifestyle the body temperature may raise slightly due to various other reasons as well. Therefore using that as the only method of contraception may not be effective in preventing an unwanted pregnancy.
Hope that answers your query. Have a Good day.