Is breastfeeding safe to my baby while i am having gastroenteritis?

Q: Hello doctor i ham a new mammy now i am one moth postpartum i had today gastroenteritis with diarhea and vomitting i went to the health center they gave me oral rehydration solution & Metochlopromide 10 mg & Hyoscina N butyl bromide 10 mg is it safe to breastfeed my baby or the infection could be transmitted to him through the milk also i want to know if those medications are safe during breast feeding if it is not safe to breastfeed my baby how long i have to stop brest feeding

A:   I understand your concern about breastfeeding and taking medications, I applaud your responsibility. The medications that you are taking are relatively safe to take during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The medications might be transmitted in a very low percentage through the maternal milk; however it would be very unlikely to produce symptoms in your baby.
Let me reassure you that there is no risk in transmitting the infection to your son through maternal milk. Even in mastitis which is an infection of the breast, it is recommended not to stop breastfeeding your baby. If you want to clear the medication out of your body before breastfeeding your baby, I will suggest you to wait for 24 hours. I wish you the best.