Is Diana or CyEstra safe to use solely for the purpose of birth control?

Q: A year ago I told my doctor I wanted to go on birth control and asked if there was one that would clear up my mild acne as well. She prescribed Diana-35 (although the pharmacist occasionally gives me CyEstra 35 instead .) I found it to work very well for my acne however I noticed that the information sheet included actually says discontinue use after four months and that it is not approved as a sole form of birth control. When I brought this up with my doctor six months later and asked to be changed to a regular birth control pill, she replied that it does the same thing and wrote me another prescription. Now I am confused and haven't dared to go sans condom with my steady boyfriend. I have yet to miss a pill and never been late taking them more than a couple of hours. I would just like some piece of mind to know that we are protected without a condom and that it is safe to use as a birth control for a long period of time. Thank-you