Is eating snack foods everyday all right?

Patient

Q: If someone eats snack foods, say something like two packets of snack food(cheetos,lays,etc) everyday, would it really harmful or have any harm for the person's health? I don't eat them that much, i am just curios and want to decide if i should eat more snack foods or try to stay away from them.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is not advised by any nutrition guidelines to eat processed snack foods that are high in salt, sugar, and artificial flavors every day. These ingredients contained in these snacks have a cumulative effect over time which increases the risk for diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and heart disease. When taken in moderation, once or twice a week, you should have no problem, but every day is not recommended.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com