Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is Epidurals safe if you are allergic to sulfa drugs?

Is Epidurals safe if you are allergic to sulfa drugs?

Patient: What medications are in epidurals and do they contain sulfites? I have a severe allergy to sulfites that triggers my asthma. I’m 31 weeks pregnant and won’t meet with an anesthesiologist for another few weeks.

Doctor: I do understand your concern about the use of epidural due to your sulfa allergy. An epidural usually contains a combina tion of local anesthetic agents such as lidocaine, bupivacaine or ropivacaine and an opioid (morphine, fentanyl or meperidine). I would suggest that you seek more information from your anesthesiologist for complication and contraindications of epidural injection. I wish you well, take care.