Is fatigue a symptom of poor health?

Patient

Q: I am tired all the time, have a constant headache (nothing super painful but it's there), and get occasional nosebleeds. Could this be a symptom of something bad or am i just not a healthy enough person...i don't eat the healthiest and rarely exercise. I have tried to loose weight and get healthier but I just end up giving up because I am so tired. I am just wondering if I am incredibly lazy or if there could be something wrong.

Symptoms:  Tired, headaches, nosebleed
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your fatigue could be a combination of your current diet and physical fitness level. However we do not want out to rule out the fact that there may be a medical issue contributing to this as well. Most commonly, decreased thyroid function can lead to symptoms of excessive fatigue. The thyroid gland is located in the neck, and produces thyroid hormone, which is responsible for regulation of body temperature and metabolism. Decreased thyroid hormone due to autoimmune attack of the thyroid gland, can produce symptoms such as yours. We recommend that you got your doctor to conduct a full physical and have a thyroid function blood test performed in order to determine if you are suffering from low thyroid hormone. If this is the case, you will be prescribed medication to increase your thyroid hormone levels thereby treating these symptoms.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com