Is Fish oil beneficial for Acne?

Patient

Q: Hey I have started taking fish oil for about a month now to clear up my face. I am not sure about the results. I was wondering if and how fish oil could make my skin worse?

Doctor

A:   The health benefits of fish oil include its ability to aid in treatment of heart diseases, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety, low immunity, eye disorders, macular degeneration and ulcers. It may help in weight loss, pregnancy, fertility and skin care. Hormonal disturbance in our body causes many health conditions and one of these is acne. Fish oil and acne are related to each other because of the presence of fatty acids in fish oil which can be helpful in the prevention as well as cure of acne. Two essential fatty acids - DHA and EPA - are broken down in the body to make other substances, such as prostaglandins. These substances prevent the formation of excess sebum in the hair follicles present throughout the human body, and as a result prevent acne from being emerging out.Some Doctors and dermatologists recommend increasing the intake of fish oil with acne.Omega-3´s can be naturally obtained in fish and sea vegetables. side effects that include: a slight blood thinning effect an effect that helps to explain why it is so beneficial for heart health, and an effect that is not necessarily bad in and of it. This blood thinning effect can increase the risks of bleeding, easy bruising and bleeds though. This is especially important to consider if you are taking other blood thinning herbs or medication, because concurrent use of blood thinning medications or herbs may increase the risks of bleeding. The fact that fish oil causes blood thinning and thus increases the risk of bleeding, the use of fish oil supplements should be stopped prior to surgery and it is extremely important that you tell your doctor if you are taking fish oil supplements so your doctor can advise you as to the proper procedure that should be taken in preparation for surgery. The FDA does not have a specific recommended dosage for fish oil. However, the FDA does recommend that an average healthy person (above the age of 5) should not take more than 3,000 mg of fish oil per day.