Is gaining weight in the early stage of exercising normal?

Patient : I started exercising about a month ago and also changed my diet. but ma problem is that i have gained weight , not sure exactly how much weight i have gained, but my jeans which were loose before the exercising are now tight.I wanted to know whether this is normal.
Doctor :   It is difficult to say the reason for your weight gain as there are so many aspects to it. Certain possibilities could b e due to increased muscles mass after exercise. Also there is a possibility for weight gain during the early stages , because as your level of activity increases, so does your appetite. I would suggest that you increase intake of complex carbohydrates and food with low glycemic index. Conntinue with your exercise and your will see results soon. I wish you well, take care.