Is gaining weight in the early stage of exercising normal?

Q: I started exercising about a month ago and also changed my diet. but ma problem is that i have gained weight , not sure exactly how much weight i have gained, but my jeans which were loose before the exercising are now tight.I wanted to know whether this is normal.

A:   It is difficult to say the reason for your weight gain as there are so many aspects to it. Certain possibilities could be due to increased muscles mass after exercise. Also there is a possibility for weight gain during the early stages , because as your level of activity increases, so does your appetite. I would suggest that you increase intake of complex carbohydrates and food with low glycemic index. Conntinue with your exercise and your will see results soon. I wish you well, take care.