Is Hibiscus Tea safe during pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hi, Im 18 wks 3 days pregnant.
I'm wondering if Hibiscus Tea is safe to drink during pregnancy? I asked my OB is it safe she said yes, nothing rung a bell to her that sounds toxic. She said most things that are unsafe for pregnancy would have warning labels on them. I've read online that Hibiscus Tea is a No, No, while pregnant. Is this true?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. There has been no conclusive evidence on the efficacy of hibiscus tea in the treatment of any medical conditions. Having said that, certain herbal teas may have substances that are not known in terms of their efficacy or affect on a pregnant woman. Therefore it is not generally advised to take any herbal preparations while pregnant. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com