Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is hot cranberry juice as effective as cold, for cystitis?

Is hot cranberry juice as effective as cold, for cystitis?

Patient: I’m drinking cranberry juice every day to ward off cystitis which I keep getting this year. I don’t like cranberry juice but would probably like it if I could drink it hot. Would this compromise the beneficial effects of cranberry stopping bacteria sticking to the bladder?

Doctor: You may have cranberry in any form, for its benefits for urine infection. Heating the cranberry juice may reduce the vit amin C content of it, but may not significantly affect its contents that help make urine acidic as well as prevent infection to stick around. However, you need to see your family doctor for antibiotics to help cure the recurrent infection, because cranberry juice may prevent but not cure the infection completely.