Is is possible to suddenly stop taking antidepressants?

Patient

Q: My family doctor switched my anti-depressants. He had me stop taking the Celexa cold turkey, take a day break then start the Effexor. Would this cause me to have any withdrawal symptoms?

Doctor

A:   Citalopram is an SSRI antidepressant drug. Tapering of the drug is recommended due to development of discontinuation syndrome if the drug is suddenly stopped. The symptoms experienced are dizziness, confusion, tremors, nausea , vomiting, tremors and vertigo.I would suggest that you talk to your doctor regarding the problem of sudden withdrawal of the drug.