Is is safe to use Amberen for menopausal symptoms?

Patient

Q: I am a 60 year old female. I take a multi vitamin, zinc and a b complex everyday. I have also started taking a product called ameren for menopausal symptoms. Does this sound OK?

Doctor

A:   Amberen contains natural products that are used for symptomatic relief of menpausal symptoms. It contains ammonium succinate, calcium disuccinate , monosodium L-glutamate, glycine and other substances. Though studies on individual ingredients have been tested on animals, the long term effects of the drug is yet to be seen. Amberen seems to produce results although a few women increase their dosage for the desired results. The side effects of amberen include headaches and itching.