Is it bad to drink wine while pregnant?

Patient

Q: Is it bad to drink a glass of wine at night during the last two weeks of my pregnancy? my friend is recommending it to me for stress but i havnt had any alcohol at all and am concerned about it harming the baby.

Doctor

A:   It is extremely unlikely that having a couple glasses of wine occasionally in the last weeks of pregnancy would caues fetal alcohol syndrome or any other birth defects. But if there is regular and excessive intake of wine during this period, it can lead to detrimental effects of low birth weight as this is the time when your baby is putting on its body weight.
I understand your stress at this time, and I would suggest that you use meditation and yoga to help reduce your stress, instead of drinking any alcohol. Practice sitting with your legs crossed, this helps open up and relax your hip joints which is helpful during delivery. You may also try the Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles and few pelvic tilts daily to help your stomach and back muscles. Make sure you eat a variety of healthy  foods and drink lots of fluids. I hope this helps.
It is extremely unlikely that, if you have a couple glasses of wine during the last weeks of pregnancy, your baby would be born with fetal alcohol syndrome or any other birth defects.
But if regular and excessive intake continues during this period, can lead to detrimental effects of low birth weight because it is this time when your baby putting on its body weight. I understand your
stress at this time, and I would suggest that you use meditation and yoga to help reduce your stress. Practice sitting cross legged, "Indian style", this helps open up and relax your hip joints which can
during delivery. You may also try Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles and pelvic tilts to help  with the muscles of your back and stomach. Make sure you eat a variety of healthy  foods
and drink lots of fluids. Hope this helps.