Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it common for Penicillin and Azithromycin to be combined

Is it common for Penicillin and Azithromycin to be combined

Patient: Is it common for Penicillin and Azithromycin to be combined together for the treatment of bronchitis? I was prescribed this for what the doctor said he thinks his bronchitis after a chest x-ray. He also said the bronchitis is in my lower lungs- I thought the bronchial tubes were higher than that..? I don’t want to to overdo it with the antibiotics if it is not necessary. Thank you.

Symptoms: Sinus congestion, chest pains, orange phlegm, sneezing, headache

Doctor: Hello, welcome to ATDPenicillin or drugs from the same group act mainly on gram positive bacteria while azithromycin w orks on gram positive bacteria these are different type of bacteria that cause infection and require different antibiotics. So its common practice and guideline to use antibiotics from two groups to deal with severe infection especially when the culture reports are not available.Bronchi divide 7 times slowly and slowly they become very minute and comprise part of lower respiratory tract as well.I recommend you to go forward with both antibiotics as advised/prescribed by your treating physician unless you are allergic to any one of them.Wish you a speedy recovery.Feel free to discuss further.Regards