Is it concerning that I've had an eyelid spasm for

Patient

Q: Is it concerning that I've had an eyelid spasm for the past 3 months?

Doctor

Thanks for your question on "Ask The Doctor".

Eye twitching, eyelid tics and spasms are pretty common. Usually only the bottom lid of one eye is involved, but the top eyelid also can twitch.
Most eye twitches come and go, although they can last for weeks or even months.
The common causes for such spasms called as myokymia are:
• 1.Stress
• 2.Tiredness
• 3.Eye strain
• 4.Caffeine
• 5. Alcohol
• 6. Dry eyes
• 7. Nutritional imbalances
• 8. Allergies •
However, this kind of eye twitching also can be hard to treat. The only option for making the twitching stop may be to figure out the cause and deal with it.
There could be a neurological condition which needs to be identified and treated.
You are requested to visit ophthalmologist who will take detailed history, suggest investigations to rule out the cause and He or she may discuss the treatment plan with you.

Wish you a good health