Is it dangerous exceeding my Max Heart Rate?

Patient

Q: I'm wondering how dangerous it is to exceed maximum heart rate? I have no health conditions and I've started exercising over the past month or two. I'm slim and not fat but probably was unfit. Today at the end of my run I did a quick 10 second sprint and checked my heart rate and it peaked at 222bpm. I'm a 17 year old and my max is apparently 203bpm. While running, my heart rate usually stays around 190bpm and probably comes down to 160bpm during breaks.

I feel tired but no obvious symptoms of any sort of damage. I was wondering if this is dangerous to me?

Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
The best way to calculate your safe maximum heart rate theoritically is by substracting your age in years from 220.
So as calculated by you it should be 203 beats per minute.
But your heart rate is exceeding this value. I would advise you not to exert to that extent. With the course of time your heart rate will be within limits even after this much activity. In simple language you can say your heart needs time to adapt. So give your heart appropriate time to adapt.
Slowly increase your efforts.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.