Is it my period or implantation bleeding?

Patient

Q: Besides using a condom, I'm also on birth control but when me and my boyfriend had sex the condom broke. The next day I started bleeding but my period is also supposed to be starting soon. I need to know if the bleeding is just my period and that I'm ok or if it could be implantation bleeding and that I'm pregnant?

Doctor

A:   Since you are on a birth control pill, your chances of becoming pregnant is minimal. The failure rate of oral contraceptive pills is less than 1%.
Implantation typically occurs seven to ten days after ovulation and the bleeding you are experiencing is unlikely due to implantation bleed.