Is it normal having vaginal bleeding after taking Postinor 1

Patient

Q: Is it normal having vaginal bleeding after taking Postinor 1 tablet? I take the tablet five days ago and bleeding is happening now. what should i do to prevent bleeding?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Emergency contraceptive pill can lead to bleeding after around one week of intake due to withdrawal effect of hormone.
So, possibly your bleeding could be due to side effect of emergency contraceptive pill.
Usually this type of withdrawal bleeding may subside in four to five days and you may not need any treatment.
Now you have to consider your last menstrual period as today and can expect next period after around one month.

Take care.