Ask The Doctor > General Health > Is it normal to have a pulse rate of 102?

Is it normal to have a pulse rate of 102?

Patient: Is it normal to have a pulse rate of 102 bpm while having a headache? I’m only 16 and I’m just lying on my bed.

Doctor: Normal resting heart rate is between 60-100 beats per minute. It varies from person to person and the basal metabolic rate (BMR) of the body. Your pulse seems to be normal to me as a single reading of 102 beats per minute is not significant. The common causes of high pulse rate are Fever, Anxiety, Cardiac arrhythmias, Hyperthyroidism, and drugs like Salbutamol. If your resting heart rate crosses 100 beats per minute, then I would advise you to get thyroid profile and ECG. Try to keep yourself calm and start practicing meditation. Avoid alcohol, smoking in case you do.