Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it normal to have an itchy vagina a couple

Is it normal to have an itchy vagina a couple

Patient: Is it normal to have an itchy vagina a couple days before my period each month?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Usually increased vaginal discharge can be seen in premenst rual phase physiologically and that may lead to vaginal itching sometimes. Usually this will subside after completion of menstrual flow.Taking bath and changing inner wear twice a day, using cotton inner wear, avoiding prolonged sitting, constipation etc can decrease the discharge and itching.If itching persists and smell, burning etc symptoms develop associated with it, better to consult your doctor once and get evaluated.Take care.