Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it normal to spot for 5 mins

Is it normal to spot for 5 mins

Patient: Is it normal to spot for 5 mins then it to stop then start up again in the next 2 days then stop again before my full flow period starts its been happening for 2 months now and I have had unprotected sex but still taking the pill on the same time every day and still get the full blown period or is it my body getting use to the pills , if been on it for a year and a half now. And i took a pregnancy test and it was negitive

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.In young adolescents, it is normal to have irregular periods. It takes several cycles an d up to a few years for periods to stabilise. Irregular periods can also occur because of:Excessive exerciseStressPCOSInfectionHormonal imbalanceIf you periods do not normalise after 2 more cycles, you should see a Gynaecologist. The Gynecologist will help you reach a diagnosis. All the best.